tolf and detab

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Aug 8 17:57:55 PDT 2010

On 08/08/2010 05:17 PM, Yao G. wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 16:44:09 -0500, bearophile
> <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> Walter Bright:
>>> If you want to conclude that Python is better at processing files,
>>> you need to
>>> show it using each language doing it a way well suited to that
>>> language, rather
>>> than burdening one so it uses the same method as the less powerful one.
>>
>> byLine() yields a char[], so if you want to do most kinds of strings
>> processing or you want to store the line (or parts of it), you have to
>> idup it. So in this case Python is not significantly less powerful
>> than D.
>>
>> [snip] And you have to [be] thankful for my benchmarks. [snip]
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> <g> What's next? Will you demand attribution like the time Andrei
> presented the ranges design?

Well I understand his frustration. I asked him for a comparison and he
took the time to write one and play with it. I think the proper answer
to that is to see what we can do to improve the situation, not defend
the status quo. Whatever the weaknesses of the benchmark are they should
be fixed, and then whatever weaknesses the library has they should be
addressed.

Andrei