The Status of Const

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 12 18:12:25 PDT 2010

== Quote from Brad Roberts (braddr at slice-2.puremagic.com)'s article
> For discussions like this, I think it's essential to distinguish between
> the language vs the runtime + core libraries.  I recognize what matters is
> the end result usability, but examining the layers independently is really
> important.
> So, which are you talking about (could well be both)?

I disagree.  A major reason why the libraries are broken is because the language
is broken.  const/immutable is very hard to use with generic code, meaning that
anything short of impeccable discipline and testing will lead to bugs galore.
Fixing the language would make it a lot easier to fix the libraries.