The Status of Const

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 16:30:46 PDT 2010

== Quote from Jonathan M Davis (jmdavisprog at gmail.com)'s article
> On Friday, August 13, 2010 15:03:07 Tomek Sowiński wrote:
> > I agree with the content, but not the tone. D's const makes all other
> > mainstream const systems look petty. Applying the concept of transitivity
> > has been revolutionary (hail Walter). Tail const is just a cable to the
> > socket to make this wonderful device work out-of-box for programming
> > masses.
> In pretty much all cases other than references, D's const system is fantast
> ic.
> It really simplified things in comparison to C++, and is overall a definite
>
> improvement. It's just with references that there's a big problem, and with
>
> them, they're better than what you get with Java's final, but it's still
> seriously lacking due to the whole thing becoming const instead of just the
>
> referent.
> - Jonathan M Davis

I still don't understand:  What's so bad about Rebindable?  Yes, it's not the
syntactically prettiest thing in the world, but complaining about it is like
complaining about climbing a molehill when you've got Mount Everest to climb next.
 My previous gripe about it was that it didn't support interfaces, but I just
realized that Shin Fujishiro fixed this a while back.