Precise garbage collection

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Aug 16 10:14:57 PDT 2010

Leandro Lucarella:
> Unfortunately full preciseness is not possible in D, due to unions mostly.

But unions are not so common in D code.

>  Having a precise stack would be very hard (and probably costly,
> so not very suitable for D)

LLVM contains tools to implement precise stack tracing. Once some application is available for D2, and once a LLVM-based D2 compiler exists, I think those tools can be used to perform experiments, to see how much costly they are, how much precision they give, etc (even if they are not present with DMD).

> This above patch is applied in official version D ?

With the current "speed" it may take two years :-) You probably have to wait.

Bye,
bearophile