Why C++ compiles slowly

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Aug 19 13:08:00 PDT 2010

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:52:25 -0400, bearophile wrote:

> dsimcha:
>> What D gets right is that you shouldn't have to be burdened with it
>> when you don't need it, and the simple, clean, safe way that works most
>> of the time should be the idiomatic way, but the
>> ugly/unsafe/inconvenient way that works in the corner cases should be
>> available, even if no serious effort is put into making it not
>> ugly/unsafe/inconvenient.
>>
>> Languages like C++ and Java tend to ignore the simple, common case and
>> force you to do things the hard way all the time, even when you don't
>> need the benefits of doing things the hard way.  Thus, these languages
>> are utterly useless for anything but huge, enterprisey projects.
>
> When you compile a Java program the compiler is able to find and fetch
> the files it needs. DMD isn't able to. So Java is more handy for small
> projects composed of something like 10-20 files. So I don't agree with
> you. (It's a feature I've asked for in my second message on the D
> newsgroups.)

Having written several university assignments in Java, small (< 500 LOC)
to medium size (50000 LOC), I haven't encountered a single compilation
related problem. One exception to this are some bindings to native code
libraries -- you need to be careful with URLs when packaging external
libraries inside a JAR.

The class centric programming paradigm often gets in your way when
programming in the small, but it's quite acceptable on large scale IMO.
How is Java so utterly useless and D much better? Any use cases?