Current RDMD, please?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Aug 19 13:21:15 PDT 2010

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:13:20 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I got into OSX with 10.1 and 10.2, and my sister had 10.3, and my
>> exprience indecates that Apple's outright disdain for anything that
>> isn't *the most recect* go back much furthur than just 10.4.
>
> I suspected that, but I thought I'd stick with what I knew for sure.
>

>> Plus, Windows has a lot of free service packs.
>
> Yeah, I like those. Those have never required a reformat of my hard
> disk. But the major OS revisions always have, despite MS's "migration
> tools".

I've successfully upgraded Win 3.11 -> 95, 95 -> 98 and 98SE -> XP. Also
The XP/Vista service packs have worked fine. There were some problems
with display drivers when upgrading from 3.11. Modifying some inf file by
hand fixed that.

You also mentioned that upgrading Ubuntu has always failed. I've noticed
that if you wait few weeks after the new release, the automatic upgrade
is more successful. Also the problems are rather minor - start terminal
and write 'sudo dpkg ..something..; sudo aptitude update; sudo aptitude
dist-upgrade'. My laptop has been running Ubuntu since 6.06 beta
releases. I once tried Kubuntu, but went back to Ubuntu because of the
stability issues (yea, a reformat even though removing kubuntu-desktop
might have been enough).