[OT] Crazy language limit-pushing (Was: Re: Why C++ compiles slowly)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Aug 19 18:05:25 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i4kjdp$2o9f$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Yea. If Java's design philosophy were a valid one, there would never have
>> been any reason to move beyond Altair-style programming (ie, entering
>> machine code (not asm) in binary, one byte at a time, via physical toggle
>> switches). You *can* do anything you need like that (It's
>> Turing-complete!).
>
> Yeah, and I've seen OOP done in C, and it works. It's just awful. I've
> even seen OOP done in assembler (Optlink!).

I've seen high-precision PI calculation done in MS batch:

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Stupid-Coding-Tricks-A-Batch-of-Pi.aspx

And Adam Ruppe did cgi in Asm:

http://www.arsdnet.net/cgi-bin/a.out

And some massochist did a compile-time raytracer in C++:

http://ompf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1556

Yea, I know that had already been done in D, but D's compile-time processing
doesn't suck :)