Why C++ compiles slowly

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:19:56 PDT 2010

Glancing over it really quickly, High Level Assembly is /completely
insane/. The whole point of writing assembly language is to see and
write exactly what the computer sees and executes. This makes it
useful for coding, and also very easy to read (in the small, at
least).

The HLA examples on Wikipedia are horribly ugly messes of macros and
other weird stuff. It is like a cross of Perl and C++!

The Microsoft assembler used to have a whole bunch of weird macro
capabilities and strange syntax. I hated it. This looks like that
turned up to 11.

D's assembler is almost perfect... it integrates without hassle, it
gives you what you need, and it is very read/writable. The only
complaint I have with it is that you have to capitalize register
names. Blargh.