On C/C++ undefined behaviours

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Fri Aug 20 15:50:10 PDT 2010

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:04:46 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "Kagamin" <spam at here.lot> wrote in message
> news:i4mjl0$2ucg$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Andrej Mitrovic Wrote:
>>
>>> What are these Java programs for the desktop that run fast? I haven't
>>> encountered any, but maybe that's just because I didn't try them all
>>> out. Eclipse takes at least 20 seconds to load on startup on my quad
>>> core, that's not very fast. On the other hand, CodeBlocks which is
>>> coded in C++ and has  a few dozen plugins installed runs in an
>>> instant.
>
> For me, C::B always took somewhere around ten seconds to start up (and
> then it kept using 5-10% CPU even when idling with all plugins disabled
> - a number of other people reported the same thing). But it's been
> awhile since I used it though, so maybe that's all fixed now.
>
> But yea, I can't remember ever seeing a non-trivial Java app that wasn't
> a bit on the sluggish side.

If you want, you could go through these applications

http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/

Maybe some of them don't suck.

There are also games written in Java (your Java enabled browser can run
these):

quake 2 port - http://bytonic.de/html/jake2_webstart.html
4 kB games - http://javaunlimited.net/games/java4k_2007.php
some opengl demos - http://slick.cokeandcode.com/static.php?page=demos

Our gamedevs use Java 7 ea, so you could try if it's faster (at least the
webstart progress dialog is different and can be customized):

http://dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net/jdk7/binaries/index.html