On C/C++ undefined behaviours

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Aug 20 22:52:37 PDT 2010

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisprog at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.444.1282368222.13841.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> I expect that your typical desktop application would do far better
> performance-wise when written in Java than Eclipse has done. But either
> because
> Java isn't generally good enough for application development or because
> people
> think that it isn't there don't seem to be very many desktop applications
> which
> are written in Java. So, it's hard to say.

The best C/C++ <-> Java application comparison I can think of
off-the-top-of-my-head would be uTorrent and Azureus (That's the actual
Azureus, not Vuze - I don't care what the creators claim, Vuze is a
*completely* different program.)  uTorrent and Azureus are nearly-identical
in purpose, features and UI. uTorrent is smooth as silk. Azureus is a bit
sluggish (certainly not Eclipse sluggish, but no where near uTorrent).
uTorrent is C/C++. Azureus is Java.

And just overall, the majority of responsive, non-bloaty software I've used
*has* been natively-compiled stuff. The majority of sluggish, bloated
software I've used has been some form of interpreted code or VM, such as JVM
or .NET. So even if we're comparing apples and oranges, if Farm A makes
apples that are usually juicy and sweet, and Farm B makes oranges that
usually aren't, I'm going to feel fairly confident in saying that Farm A
kicks Farm B's ass.