On C/C++ undefined behaviours

SK sk at metrokings.com
Fri Aug 20 23:15:40 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> SK wrote:
>>
>> Do you mean to say:
>> Instead of shipping the intermediate code, always ship source code.
>
> Yes.
> Why doesn't it make sense?

I love open source projects, but off the top of my head here are some
reasons that's not a general substitute for TIMI for D:
1) What about closed source software?
2) From-source builds may be more complex or resource consuming than
could be accommodated on the machine the customer used to launch, e.g.
a hand-held device.
3) The source may have sizable irrelevant content for a particular
product instantiation, compile time conditionals, etc

I have no vested interest in the TIMI idea, but it feels good to me.
We get platform independence, custom fit binaries, and require no
change to the language.  Not to mention it's proven to be a durable
model at IBM.