On C/C++ undefined behaviours

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Aug 21 00:22:20 PDT 2010

"SK" <sk at metrokings.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.448.1282374566.13841.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>> SK wrote:
>>>
>>> I love open source projects, but off the top of my head here are some
>>> reasons that's not a general substitute for TIMI for D:
>>> 1) What about closed source software?
>>
>> Won't work anyway. Java bytecodes are trivially turned back into source.
>
> IMO, reverse engineering technology is not the issue.

The *whole point* of closed-source is that the source isn't available. If
Java bytecode is trivially turned back into meaningful source, then
closed-source Java ain't closed-source anyway.

>>> 2) From-source builds may be more complex or resource consuming than
>>> could be accommodated on the machine the customer used to launch, e.g.
>>> a hand-held device.
>>
>> I've worked on a Java VM enough to know that won't be a problem.
>>

> Why waste your batteries running deep and complex front-end optimizers
> that have nothing to do with the target platform?

The compiler's not going to do any deep analysis of code that's versioned
out for a different platform. Just lexing, maybe parsing, and that's it.
AIUI, the real battery-eating processing is elsewhere, mainly in stuff
that's also going to be done by any decent JIT engine. (Not that there
wouldn't be at least *some* saved cycles.)