TDPL ebook

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Sat Aug 21 00:32:33 PDT 2010

I really appreciated the way Peter Langtangen handled this for his book
"Python Scripting for Computational Science": There is an encrypted PDF
for download for which you need a password like "Enter the first word on
page XXX".

Of course such a measure can still be worked around, but it is
sufficient barrier that the PDF will not easily spread around and the
protection is non-intrusive enough to allow people who purchased the
paperback to have the PDF for reference.

I personally enjoyed TPDL as the best read in a long time. It definitely
makes you stand out as a nerd if you mention this in smalltalk
conversations about enjoyable holiday reads... :-)

However, the book is pretty useless as reference now, because I
typically just carry around my notebook and never have TPDL at hand when
I would need it...