ddmd

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Sat Aug 21 16:55:22 PDT 2010

On 8/21/2010 17:14, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Rainer Deyke" <rainerd at eldwood.com> wrote in message
> news:i4pju0$1pjd$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Why would that matter?  Why would you want to compile the compiler for a
>> platform, on that platform?
>>

> To use that platform to compile something.

It took me a while to make any sense of that statement.  You're talking
about a situation where no compiler binary exists that runs on your
platform, so you want to compile the compiler for that platform on the
platform itself, right?

The platform the compiler targets and the platform on which the compiler
runs are orthogonal issues.  If you want the compiler to produce native
binaries on platform X, it must first be able to target platform X.  If
the compiler can target platform X, then it is easy enough to create a
binary of the compiler that runs on platform X by compiling on platform
A.  From there it's a simple matter to write a script that compiles,
packages, and uploads the compiler for all supported platforms.  It
should therefore never be necessary to compile the compiler itself on
platform X.  Or am I missing something?

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com