On C/C++ undefined behaviours

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sun Aug 22 07:57:12 PDT 2010

Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:06:32 -0400, bearophile wrote:

> retard:
>> quake 2 port - http://bytonic.de/html/jake2_webstart.html
>
> Have you read some of that code? No Java programmer writes code like
> that. That code is the "exception that confirms the rule" (I don't know
> how this is normally written in English). The rule is that Java code is
> slow ;-)

I tested this game on my low-end HTPC (timedemo, map demo2). It's a Core
2 Duo with OC'd Geforce 8600. Got 850 FPS @ 1920x1080 with default
quality settings. Does this make Java slow? I think I've heard that
30..50 fps is acceptable level in video games. It's hard to believe that
idiomatic Java would be 15..30 times slower than this. I played through
the whole demo. Not a single problem with the GC, the user experience was
much better than with the original version 10 years ago.