On C/C++ undefined behaviours

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Aug 22 12:50:10 PDT 2010

"retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:i4rqp4$1egl$2 at digitalmars.com...
> Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:50:06 +0200, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>
>> Quake 2 is a 13 year old game. :)
>>

> The original argument was that Java code is slow, no matter what you're
> trying to do. What kind of performance levels are you expecting?

Nobody said that.  Java apps just tend to be slower than C/C++/D ones.
Strutting out a GPU-bound game that was well-known to run blazingly fast on
sub-GHz hardware in *software* rendering mode, and saying "Look it's a few
hundred fps on my multi-core" doesn't really do much to disprove that.

> http://dotnot.org/blog/archives/2008/03/10/xml-benchmarks-updated-graphs-
> with-rapidxml/
>
> It appears that in XML parsing Java is actually 5..10 times faster than
> D1/Phobos. Maybe D2/Phobos has finally fixed these issues.

Phobos's XML is known to be half-baked. That same link indicates that
D1/Tango's XML beats the snot out of Java's. Yes, part of that is due to
some details of the way Tango goes about it, but it's things that D makes
easy and natural. Trying to do the same techniques on Java would be a bit of
an uphill battle.