Why C++ compiles slowly

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Aug 24 03:25:43 PDT 2010

Walter Bright:
> elf_findstr definitely looks like a problem area. I can't look at it right now,
> so can you post this to bugzilla please?

I am able to find two versions of elf_findstr, one in elfobj.c and one in machobj.c, so it may be possible to remove one of them.

Its docstring doesn't seem to show the 'suffix' argument.

I have seen that it performs strlen() of str and suffix at the beginning, so using fat pointers (C structs that keep ptr + len) as D may be enough to avoid those strelen calls and save some time.

>From what I see it seems to perform a linear search inside an Outbuffer, something like a search of strtab~strs inside an array of strings, so the structure may be replaced by an associative set or ordered set lookup instead.

Bye,
bearophile