Why all the D hate?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Aug 24 08:36:34 PDT 2010

Probably answering to a troll, but..

Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:14:37 -0400, igabrieL wrote:

> - GDB developers refsue to apply up to date D patches

This is a copyright issue. GDB is owned by the FSF and you cannot use any
Digital Mars code in it. You need to assign the copyright to them.

> - the language shootout included ALL other relevant languages, but
hated D. This is very bad

I'm not sure what happened. It seams the shootout guy did not consider D
revolutionary enough. It could also be the lack of a 64-bit compiler. He
runs the tests on both 32 and 64-bit systems. When the 64-bit compiler
comes out, maybe he has no reasons to leave it out. The benchmark code
was already there, wasn't it.

> - D wiki had CSS style competition but someone wanted to keep
> the boring looking style. Wiki has sometimes also disk space problem

No idea.

> - no Tango for D 2.0 (trying be fair and equal here. not only phobos!)

Maybe it will ported when D 2.0 is safe to use? First we need to be able
to compile all examples shown in TDPL.

> - Lots of people constantly complaining D 2.0 situation - and suggesting
> feature improvements

I believe D attracts people who want to leave their hand-mark in the
language's design. The community members see that the language is in a
constant 'work in progress' phase so they're dumping truckloads of
feature suggestions before the language's author.

These suggestions are mostly syntactical improvements taken from other
languages because the community members rarely have any kind of knowledge
in the field of programming language theory.

> - forum trolls

Thanks!

> - many good software died. I need ddbi, kate intellisense plugin (not
> compatible anymore)

Please contribute!

- the forum web interfaces are bad. broken trees of
> message topics

Please contribute! Write one in D.

> - when is time for (safe) d on dot net / java?

The SafeD spec needs to be beefed up quite a bit to be any useful for
compiler writers. I think having a SafeD environemnt on .NET/JVM might be
an interesting exercise. However, the language doesn't have many
interesting new features to justify its existence on either platform.

> When this all stops? When is D stable and we can build compilers and
> editors and debuggers and bring it back in language shootout (very bad
> for advertising D to have no D in the page!)

Already answered.