Why all the D hate?

Norbert Nemec Norbert at Nemec-online.de
Tue Aug 24 09:49:29 PDT 2010

On 24/08/10 13:14, igabrieL wrote:
> - the language shootout included ALL other relevant languages, but hated D. This is very bad

I recall that this was due to the lack of 64bit support and the lack of
a Debian package that would work out of the box. The latter problem may
be solved by now, but the site maintainer decided to wait for 64bit DMD
to come out.

> - Lots of people constantly complaining D 2.0 situation
> - and suggesting feature improvements

I view the latter point a clear sign of *love* not hate. The language is
great and inspiring many ideas. People see that many good ideas have
been picked up through discussion so they throw in their ideas as well.
I see it as one big bonus of the D community that there is this forum in
which newcomers and experts alike discuss their ideas freely and
actually make a direct impact on the development.

> When this all stops? When is D stable and we can build compilers and editors and debuggers and bring it back in language shootout (very bad for advertising D to have no D in the page!)

I doubt it will "stop" at any fixed point in time, but the situation has
been improving gradually and I am optimistic that it will continue to do so.