Why all the D hate?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Aug 24 12:26:55 PDT 2010

Tue, 24 Aug 2010 17:44:38 +0000, dsimcha wrote:

>> I think having a SafeD environemnt on .NET/JVM might be an interesting
>> exercise. However, the language doesn't have many interesting new
>> features to justify its existence on either platform.
>
> Don't D's compile-time introspection and generic programming abilities
> count for something?  They're the biggest reason I use D over C# or
> Java, and AFAIK D is the most mainstream language with a comparable
> level of compile time metaprogramming ability.

Those are quite expressive features. However, without the close to metal
aspect, D is too close to C# in my opinion. The metaprogramming things
surely help when cleaning up useless boilerplate, but they aren't enough.
Ruby, Python, Clojure, and F# all have more powerful features on top of a
modern virtual machine and people seem to favor (J)Ruby and Python these
days.