Why all the D hate?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Aug 24 14:21:56 PDT 2010

"retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:i51b74$v0k$4 at digitalmars.com...
> Tue, 24 Aug 2010 16:29:01 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> "retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:i51963$v0k$3 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> I can find 100 other commercial C# coders in just a few days.
>>
>> Now, see that's something that always bugs the hell out of me. Any
>> programmer who can code in, say imperative or OO style in one language
>> and *can't* pick up another imperative or OO language with ease is
>> incompetent. Period. But no one outside of (real) programmers ever seems
>> to realize that. (One of the reasons I despise anyone who works anywhere
>> near HR.)
>>
>> I don't always agree with Joel Spolsky (though I often do), but one
>> thing I *absolutely* agree with him on is this:
>>
>> "The recruiters-who-use-grep, by the way, are ridiculed here, and for
>> good reason. I have never met anyone who can do Scheme, Haskell, and C
>> pointers who can't pick up Java in two days, and create better Java code
>> than people with five years of experience in Java, but try explaining
>> that to the average HR drone."
>>
>> - The Perils of JavaSchools:
>> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html
>>
>> Incidentally, that's also why I think all of those managers out there
>> who choose PHP because "there are a lot of PHP programmers" are complete
>> fucking morons.
>
> The C# programmers naturally also have knowledge of the toolchain in
> general: build tools, unit testing tools, document generators, coding
> conventions, web frameworks, best utility libraries, and so on. Do you
> think commercial application development always starts from scratch? Even
> if you were Joel Spolsky, you would need few days or weeks to catch up
> with the more experienced team members. Unnecessary studying isn't
> acceptable when you need to produce a prototype in a week and the whole
> project only lasts for 6 months.

There's always a learning/ramp-up period anyway when bringing on new team
member. They have to get acclimated to the existing codebase and how the
group has everything set up and policies/procedures, etc, all of which will
vary from company to company even with the same langauge. When I took my
first web development job, it was an ASP house (this was before ASP.NET),
and I had never even looked at a line of ASP in my life, but learning it was
trivial, especially compared to picking up the company-specific stuff.

And if a manager goes hiring programmers when time's already tight, then the
manager is an idiot because getting the new people up-to-speed is only going
to cause more delay even if the language is the same (and again, the time to
pick up the language is small compared to the other stuff). That's been
shown time and time again.