Why C++ compiles slowly

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 16:18:32 PDT 2010

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound2 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> > Through some more work with printf, I have to agree with bearophile,
> > this lookup function is horrid.
> It is now, but when it was originally written (maybe as long as 20 years ago)
> there were only a few strings in the table, and it was fine. It's just outlived
> its design. Clearly, it should now be a hash table.
> Just goes to show how useful a profiler is.

Wow, now it's really hit home for me how much programming languages and libraries
have advanced in the past 20 years.  Nowadays any reasonable person would
generally use a hash table even for small N because it's not any harder to code.
Any modern language worth its salt comes with one either built in or in the
standard lib.  I guess 20 years ago this wasn't so.