Why C++ compiles slowly

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 13:40:52 PDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:29:06 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> You mean like asking someone who reported low performance of your
>> program on the newsgroup to do it for you? :)
>
> 1. He had the test case, I didn't.

He == me :)

The test case was available as a tarball download at
www.dsource.org/projects/dcollections.

Not that I mind doing the dirty work, if it gets results, but asking
someone to compile your product in a different way and then asking them to
try and analyze the output of *your* program isn't the best way to get
results.  If I told Microsoft that Word was crashing on a document it
made, and they responded by sending me the source code for Word and said
"You have the test case, so you figure it out" I don't think people would
like them very much.  I have had this problem for months, and haven't
really pushed it except for snide remarks until recently, when I figured
if I didn't do it, nobody would.

I understand the lack of time, and that was why I did the work, but I
didn't really expect to get results.

> 2. People have repeatedly suggested I delegate some of the compiler
> work. Why not?

What I've done hardly qualifies as doing compiler work.  I just helped
identify the problem :) I hope you plan on fixing it, I can't.

-Steve