About Andrei's interview, part 3

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:41:01 PDT 2010

On Wednesday, August 25, 2010 17:27:41 Ben White wrote:
> ... There's no incompatible D3 in the foreseeable future ...
>
> but then I bummed.

We need D2 to completely and totally stable before we even consider anything
like D3. If you don't properly stabilize what you have and let it mature, it's
not likely to get used much. And as much as new features can be great, breaking
backwards compatibility can suck too. Not to mention, I think that D2 needs to
be used a lot more by a lot more people before we could really know what was
done right and what was done wrong such that we would really know what to do
with D3.

By the sounds of it, once D2 is more mature and stable, some backwards-
compatible features may be added, but we don't really need D3 at this point. D2
is a huge gain over D1, and it was well worth breaking backwards compatability
for it, but it's not like D1 hase ever all that much traction. There are
definitely people who use it, but it has a relatively small user base. If D2's
user base really increases like we'd like it to (and TDPL should help a lot with
that), it's going to cost users a lot more when backwards compatability is
broken.

There may very well be a D3 someday, but D2 is still pretty nascent. We need to
get what we have properly mature before we look at doing a major language
rewrite.

- Jonathan M Davis