Why C++ compiles slowly

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 21:28:57 PDT 2010

== Quote from Walter Bright (newshound2 at digitalmars.com)'s article
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> >> Just goes to show how useful a profiler is.
> >
> > Yes, I'm glad you pushed me to do it.  Looking forward to the fix.
> The two secrets to writing fast code are:
> 1. using a profiler
> 2. looking at the assembler output of the compiler
> In my experience, programmers will go to astonishing lengths to avoid doing
> those two, and will correspondingly expend hundreds of hours "optimizing" and
> getting perplexing results.

  There are also those who are not programmers, and don't know what they are doing
in the first place. A couple years back i was hired as part of a 'rural
our-sourcing' experiment where they took people in the local area who had _some_
technical potential. They would then be hired out cheaper than experienced
programmers. We went through a 14 week course for Java boot camp. Out of 24 I was
the only one who knew anything about programming. Through the course they weren't
told anything about profiling, looking at assembly language, or using a debugger.
They were taught the absolute minimum. I watched several when the program wouldn't
compile or work right they would randomly make changes trying to get the code to work.

  Be afraid. Be very afraid.