About Andrei's interview, part 3

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 05:22:26 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> Justin Johansson wrote:
>>>
>>> A lot of people will be pleased to
>>> see 64-bit D.
>>
>> 64 bit has been pushed aside for around 7 years now in favor of more
>> urgent matters. It's time to get it done.
>
> Also, I think it's critical to be certain there's nothing in the language
> which is incompatible with 64 bits. It's bound to flush out a lot of hidden
> bugs.

Or in phobos, like std.stream.OutputStream.write(char[]) (and the
associated read(char[])).
It writes a size_t with the length of the following char-array.
Considering that this is even used on the network (with SocketStream)
this might lead to problems (write on amd64 and read on i386 or the
other way round).
I'd suggest to always write the length as a (u)long - or uint,
char-arrays/strings that are bigger than 4GB are just insane, anyway.
(Java uses short in a similar method, IIRC).