Safe Cursors and Ranges

Pillsy pillsbury at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 07:18:51 PDT 2010

These thoughts were inspired by the recent thread, "Retrieving the
traversed range". I am generally pretty sold on the range concept,
but I think for some operations some sort of cursor is required.
However, there are some unsafe cursor-related operations that are
best avoided.

However, as far as I can see, the unsafe operations revolve around
synthesizing a new range out of two cursors. However, you can get
a lot of the desired functionality associated with finding elements and
splitting ranges *without* allowing the synthesis of of ranges from
unrelated cursors. The key to doing this is to have each cursor be permanently bound to the underlying range which it was derived from.

If you have this kind of cursor, you only really need it to support two operations to get a huge amount of benefit:

     Range before ();

     Range after ();

The before () operation just returns a range of the appropriate type (Forward, Bidirectional, RandomAccess) of all the elements that come before the cursor is pointing to, while the after () operation returns a range of the appropriate type with all the elements after the cursor. Given this concept, a cursor really points at the boundary between elements of a range, if you will.

If find and related operations return this kind of cursor, all of the operations involving splitting ranges become trivial. It's completely consistent for either before () or after () to be empty, and since you can't glue two of these cursors together, you are always guaranteed to get well-defined ranges out.

While I think the before () and after () operations are the only ones
which are strictly necessary for the desiderata I've seen so far, people
could write their own generic algorithms if cursors supported more of
the iterator operations, for moving forward (and backward, where appropriate) and inspecting the element immediately after the cursor (or before, where appropriate), and if ranges supported operations to return cursors from reasonable places (like from the front or back, or from a specific indexed elemnt for RandomAccess ranges).

The key idea is that these cursors aren't a primitive part of a range; instead, they take a range and add a position *inside* the range. They're a perfect fit for all those "three-legged" operations out there because they actually have three legs.

Cheers,
Pillsy