[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Stanislav Blinov stanislav.blinov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 16:35:21 PDT 2010

Vladimir wrote:
> Stanislav Blinov Wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed I'm not the only one Russian here, so I've decided to ask:
>> (yeah, I know I'm quite a bit late)
>>
>> Did anyone buy TDPL in Russia? If so, where from? Is Amazon a good place
>> to look (there seemed to be trouble getting stuff from them)?
>
> I'm quite satisfied with the torrent version. As long as no money goes directly to the D development I refuse to buy books. The book guy already earns 10 to 100 times as much as a normal developer in Russia.

Thanks for the honesty but no thanks.

The "book guy" puts a lot of effort into D  and I'm sure that work on
TDPL was tremendous hit on all his resources (both mental and physical)
as well. A hard an honest work needs to be compensated, and an (assumed)
overall current income has nothing to do with it (I assume that's plain
jealousy talking in you). If Andrei so wished, he could publish the book
for free, but he didn't. Mind you, he and Walter and others have LOTS
thing to do except D, but they keep perfecting the language, keep
finding new goals, keep participating in discussions in this newsgroup,
keep helping the language and the community.

What stops you from earning 10 to 100 times more? Being a Russian? I
doubt it. If you desire earning more, then do it. Plain assumptions and
"big" talk are no justifications for plain stealing.

P.S. Seems that some things would never change. I think there would be
far less "professionals" out there weren't it not for piracy.

Anyway, does someone have any other options on the topic?