Bug reports [Was: Re: About Andrei's interview, part 3]

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:59:18 PDT 2010

On Thursday, August 26, 2010 17:42:18 bearophile wrote:
> Walter Bright:
> >I just hope you can be realistic about how much can be done about them in
> >the short term.<
>
> Most of of my bugzilla entries are normal bugs, suggestions for improved
> error messages and diagnostic, Phobos bugs, enhancement requests,
> _additive_ changes, etc, that don't require any D spec/design change.
>
> Only a small percentage of them are "interesting" little not-additive
> (breaking) changes for D.

Regardless of what type of bug reports they are, it takes time to deal with
them. Yes, some will take longer than others, but if you report them faster than
the dev team can deal with them, then it's obviously going to take a while to
get through everything that you report (and actually, if you always report them
faster than they can deal with them, they'll _never_ get through them all). Now,
as Walter said, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't report them, but Walter and
company can only do so much so fast.

- Jonathan M Davis