Using glog's design for Phobos?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 26 18:34:43 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> At my workplace we're using Google's logging library glog
> (http://google-glog.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/glog.html), and the
> more I use it, the more I like it. It's simple, to the point, and
> effective.
>
> I was thinking it would be great to adapt a similar design into Phobos.
> There will be differences such as use of regular argument lists instead
> of << etc., but the spirit will be similar. What do you think?

Ok, I'm going to get flamed for this, but,

     I don't get it

I do logging all the time. It's usually customized to the particular problem I'm
trying to solve, so it involves uncommenting the right printf's and then running
it. Voila. Done.

The logging libraries I've seen usually required more time spent installing the
package, getting it to compile, reading the documentation, finding out it
doesn't work, rereading the documentation, etc., etc., than just putting in a
#@$%^ printf, and Bang, it works, cut & print.

Even worse, the logging libraries are loaded with a grab bag of trivial features
to try and puff it up into looking impressive. They always seemed to me to be a
solution in search of a problem.

Shields up! what am I missing about this?