About Andrei's interview, part 3

Gareth Charnock gareth.charnock at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 19:01:54 PDT 2010

On 26/08/10 07:57, Don wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> bearophile wrote:
>>> This is why I don't like a lot the current work done for the 64 bit
>>> implementation.
>>
>> A lot of groups cannot consider D unless it supports 64 bit compilation.
>>

>>> D2 has some design problems (I don't call them 'enhancement
>>> requests') that if you want to fix may require to break backward
>>> compatibility (they are things that can't just be added to the D2
>>> language),
>>> few months ago I have listed about ten of them here (and I think
>>> Walter did
>>> just ignore them),
>>
>> 71 bugzilla issues were resolved just in the last update. I don't
>> think it's quite fair to characterize the ongoing development as
>> ignoring the community. You list several things *per day*. I doubt any
>> organization could keep up with the sheer volume of your output <g>.
>> I'm not suggesting that you stop doing it, quite the contrary. I just
>> hope you can be realistic about how much can be done about them in the
>> short term.
>
> Since February, 30% of bugzilla entries are from bearophile!
> It's really impressive.

I kind of started thinking of Bearophile as the conscience of the
newsgroup a while back ;-) Always sitting on your shoulder pointing out
how things should be better or could be fixed. He really is a tireless
user advocate!

As for the current directly, I think the most critical matter is
bugfixes, bugfixes, bugfixes, which is why I was pleased to see that
last changelog. It's disheartening to run headlong into a language bug
every time I code something in D2.