TDPL ebook

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:04:09 PDT 2010

== Quote from sergk (kovrov+puremagic at gmail.com)'s article
> Despite word "download" being mentioned. What safari really provide,
> is an "online version" of the book, not "electronic version".
> When I've bought paperback TDPL, I was kinda hoping to read "bonus
> book" on my kindle dx, leaving paperback book on my office desk as
> promo for my colleagues and guests. Well, too good to be truth.
> FWIW, I would still like to have a kindle version. Pdf is fine too.

Has this changed? I bought TDPL in early July, registered at informit/Safari Books
Online and could download a PDF version, which was even updated about two weeks
later. Those versions were labeled "Rough Cuts" but whatever..
So I got a nice searchable (and even updated) PDF version of the book that I can
use forever, even when the free 45day subscription expires (and I certainly
wouldn't pay for a Safari Online subscription just to use a digital version of a
book I already bought).
It has my name and E-Mail Address on every page, but this is okay, it's probably
meant to be some kind of copy protection.

Andrei: Please make this version available again for anyone who bought your book,
because many people like having a searchable PDF in addition to the real dead-tree
book. I think the way it was handled in early July (get a free 45day subscription
and the possibility to download the book as PDF within that time) was really fair
- although I certainly wouldn't mind getting updated versions of the book even
after that 45day period - and useful.

Cheers,
- Daniel