Using glog's design for Phobos?

so so at so.do
Fri Aug 27 14:44:19 PDT 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 04:34:43 +0300, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> At my workplace we're using Google's logging library glog
>> (http://google-glog.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/glog.html), and the
>> more I use it, the more I like it. It's simple, to the point, and
>> effective.
>>  I was thinking it would be great to adapt a similar design into
>> Phobos. There will be differences such as use of regular argument lists
>> instead of << etc., but the spirit will be similar. What do you think?
>
> Ok, I'm going to get flamed for this, but,
>
>      I don't get it
>
> I do logging all the time. It's usually customized to the particular
> problem I'm trying to solve, so it involves uncommenting the right
> printf's and then running it. Voila. Done.
>
> The logging libraries I've seen usually required more time spent
> installing the package, getting it to compile, reading the
> documentation, finding out it doesn't work, rereading the documentation,
> etc., etc., than just putting in a #@$%^ printf, and Bang, it works, cut
> & print.
>
> Even worse, the logging libraries are loaded with a grab bag of trivial
> features to try and puff it up into looking impressive. They always
> seemed to me to be a solution in search of a problem.
>
> Shields up! what am I missing about this?

If D needs a standard logging library, it should but nothing more than...
log_open("filename"); // somewhere at start, if possible hide this as well
log(log_level_here, "doing this :", param0, ", and that", param1...);
dlog(...);

I dislike all lame logging libraries out there, where objects running
around.
Logger::init("filename");
Logger log(...);
log(level etc, ...);
Logger::tini(...);

If one needs a complex logging system, he should find/write one.
Thanks!