[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 03:21:02 PDT 2010

On Friday 27 August 2010 22:47:54 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisprog at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.535.1282972511.13841.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>
> > On Friday 27 August 2010 21:58:30 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >> "Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> news:op.vh3740cneav7ka at localhost.localdomain...

> >> Not in the US.
> >
> > It was certainly my understanding that backing up software was covered
> > under
> > free use.
>
> (IANAL)
>
> "Fair use" only exists in US law in the same sense that "Plessy v.
> Ferguson" ("Separate but equal") exists. Plessy v. Ferguson is still in
> the books, but it's effectively rendered dead by "Brown v. Board of
> Education" (for good reason, of course). Similarly, "Fair use" still
> exists in the books, but it's effectively rendered dead by the DMCA (for
> shitty reason, of course). Only real difference I see is that "Plessy v.
> Ferguson" and "Brown v. Board of Education" are case law and "fair
> use"/DMCA aren't, but I don't think that makes any real difference (sure
> as shit doesn't make any *practical* difference).
>
> Yea, DCMA only overturns fair use when "copy protection" is used, but
> that's trivial enough: all you really need to do is to slap a "consider
> this copyrighted" bit into it (and there's probably even super-low-tech
> ways to do it that would be compatible with, say, a book or CD Audio) and
> declare "this is DRM", and there you go - no more pesky "fair use" to get
> in the way of corporate greed.

Well, since both fair use and the DMCA are law, and they contradict each other,
I believe it would take a court ruling to say which won out, and even then it
could easily depend on the exact circumstances of the case. Some situations
might be deemed legal under fair use while others might be deemed illegal due to
the DMCA.

Personally, what I'd really love to have happen is have a case go to court where
someone did something under fair use which was illegal under the DMCA and have
at least some portion of the DMCA overruled by the Supreme Court due to it
violating fair use. But I can't imagine the odds of that happening are very
high. After all, the DMCA has been around for a while now, and it hasn't
happened. Also, odds are that it would happen in a suit by a big corporation
against an individual, and the individual wouldn't be able to afford to take the
case that far, so it wouldn't actually get to the Supreme Court to be ruled on.
In any case, I can dream, I suppose. The DMCA is one of the worst laws ever
passed, but there's not much that we can do about it.

- Jonathan M Davis