Implementing something like DLR in D?

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Sat Aug 28 04:50:36 PDT 2010

On 28/08/10 18:47, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2010-08-28 01:44, Justin Johansson wrote:
>> To sum up, I'd really appreciate feedback as to whether or not is
>> worth considering D as a suitable language for implementing a dynamic
>> language having a non-trivial type system, or is a higher level
>> approach (such as DLR or STG) really required?
>
> * There is a scripting language called MiniD implemented in D:
> http://dsource.org/projects/minid
>
> * Walter has made an ECMA 262 (JavaScript) implementation in D called
> DMDScript: http://digitalmars.com/dscript/index.html

Thanks for those links.  I was aware of Walter's ECMAScript (aka JS)
implementation though not MiniD.

To put my quest into context though, I'd hazard a guess that the
complexity of the JS type system is on a par with or perhaps a little
simpler than the type system in XPath 1.0.

Having the the experience of developing an XPath 1.0 implementation in
C++ some 10 years ago and without too much difficulty, I think I can
say with some insight that the complexity of something like the XPath
2.0 type system is yet a completely different ball game and being an
order or magnitude more complex.

It is a dynamic language with an XPath 2.0-like type system that I had
in mind as having a "non-trivial" type system.  This is why I was
thinking that perhaps a higher level approach was needed.  Other than
one very popular Java implementation of XPath 2.0, the only other really
decent implementation is that in the Galax XQuery processor which I
believe is written in OCaml.

Cheers
Justin Johansson