[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Aug 30 07:30:43 PDT 2010

Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:13:54 -0400, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> Shit, just look at the
> over-abundance of totally crappy open source software versus for-sale
> software.  For-sale software that sucks doesn't last very long.

The number #1 problem with open source is the lack of workforce. The
reasons for this have less to do with financial issues. The freedom it
provides also scatters the community. When you're not aiming at high
profits, you can choose exactly the combination of licenses, languages,
and toolchains you prefer. Typical FLOSS enthusiastic's mindset:

"Oh no! They made a BSD licensed desktop calculator in Ruby - quickly, we
must make a 'better' BSD licensed clone in Python. The audience liked the
GUI and the GMP backend was optimal for the task, therefore let's use
those same libraries ourselves. To avoid intellectual deterioration, we
should avoid studying the existing code at all costs!!"

Another thing is that professional developers don't have too much energy
to be spent in hobby projects after 8..12 hours of daily work, commuting
etc.

The number #2 problem is that stupid unnecessary projects never die.
Linux distributions get higher scores in international rankings when
their repositories are full of all kinds of crap software.