D on Wikipedia [Was: Re: Setting the stack size]

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Dec 2 00:49:53 PST 2010

Wed, 01 Dec 2010 20:52:47 -0500, bearophile wrote:

>> On Windows with DMD this is how to set the max stack size to about 1.5
>> GB of the "test.d" module: dmd -L/STACK:1500000000 test.d
>
> D is good for allowing to add the last values to the results table for n
> up to 25: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_or_boy_test The reference to
> D was later removed by someone, of course.

Nothing D specific really, they argued that the article should remain
clean since the test was designed for *Algol*, not D. It's not a language
competition, people only want to know what the 'Man or boy test' is. By
your logic, all those programming articles should include 500+
implementations of the algorithm in various languages to avoid any kind
of discrimination. It's a general purpose encyclopedia, not a language
competition, understand that? Write your competition code to sites like
rosettacode.

The implementations are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_creation/
Submissions/Man_or_boy_test_implementations

They haven't yet decided whether they're worth a new article.

> They have even removed D
> examples from the template metaprogramming page, etc.

etc. ? What else?

The generic programming constructs of D have already been discussed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_programming#Templates_in_D

Repeating the same shit provides little additional value IMHO. I think
the whole template metaprogramming article is redundant and all the
metaprogramming articles should have a better organization.

The particular D code that was removed was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
title=Template_metaprogramming&diff=64616972&oldid=64616688

The discussion page mentions it doesn't add any value and I can't
disagree.

The article should really go through review. It also discusses static
polymorphism which isn't only related to templates. CRTP is also possible
in Java, C#, Scala etc. It should be removed from that page. It actually
already has a new page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiously_recurring_template_pattern

> The page about CTFE resists still:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compile_time_function_execution

Resists? You weren't able to fill it with D propaganda? It already lists
the DigitalMars pages as only references. And provides 2/3 examples in D.
What else should it do?

> Wikipedia
> looks like a fair place based on rules and laws, but in truth a lot of
> its contents are determined by politics.

You aren't helping that with that FUD.

> If there are enough people
> interested in keeping a page/topic alive, then it survives.

Notability guidelines.

> So you are
> able to find many page about single Pokemon characters (some of them are
> cute, but they cultural importance is not huge), but no pages (because
> they have deleted it) about some useful software.

But pikamen are notable!