D on Wikipedia [Was: Re: Setting the stack size]

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Dec 2 01:35:36 PST 2010

Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:10:33 +0200, so wrote:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?
>> title=Template_metaprogramming&diff=64616972&oldid=64616688
>>
>> The discussion page mentions it doesn't add any value and I can't
>> disagree.
>
> They might be clueless to say that, but you?

I agree static-if, alias parameters, and the other extensions are worth
mentioning, but syntactical changes more or less aren't.

I'd introduce the templates using code written in C++ and then list the
differences between C++ and D. After all, C++ and C++ TMP are widely
known. Even I have few books of them in my bookshelf and ps/pdf papers
discussing C++ TMP. There aren't any books or peer reviewed articles
about D's metaprogramming, right? Prioritizing D over C++ doesn't make
sense, the citations should emphasize notable relevant sources.

>> Resists? You weren't able to fill it with D propaganda? It already
>> lists the DigitalMars pages as only references. And provides 2/3
>> examples in D. What else should it do?
>
> What propaganda are you talking about? If they are not some populist
> pricks first thing you would see on that page would be D.

It clearly seems that both C++ and D communities think they invented the
term CTFE. In C++ the functions are "meta-functions" (templates) [1], in D
"ordinary" functions. But the same shit comes with a different name in
other languages. It's essentially the same concept of metaprogramming.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Template-Metaprogramming-Concepts-Techniques-
Beyond/dp/0321227255