Logical const

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Dec 3 05:10:02 PST 2010

On 03/12/2010 01:38, Walter Bright wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 13:57:04 -0500, Bruno Medeiros
>> <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote:

>>> Could you detail a bit what do you mean by logical const == const ?
>>> That doesn't sound right to me.
>>>

>> Here is where I show how logical const already exists, it's just
>> clunky to use.
>>
>> BTW, this was before TLS, so the example would have to be updated a bit.
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=58927
>

> What you're doing is keeping an alternate, mutable reference to each
> object. This does not mean that logical const == const.

The statement "logical const == const" is meaningless really. Please use
better terms people. ~_~'

What Steven was trying to say, I think, is that you can always emulate
the behavior of logical const in D in a valid (safe) way, and that
therefore the current D const system doesn't actually offer more
guarantees than having logical const (by this I mean having mutable
members).

Whether this is true or not, that's the question. I don't think it is
true, I've argued that in a reply to the previous post. Note that the
other extreme, which you mentioned: "Having mutable members destroys any
guarantees that const provides. ", is also not true. (again, argued in
another post).

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer