Destructors, const structs, and opEquals

Olivier Pisano olivier.pisano at laposte.net
Sun Dec 5 02:53:34 PST 2010

Le 04/12/2010 10:00, Franciszek Czekala a écrit :
> Anyway, if struct has value semantics then perhaps the argument to
> opEquals should have simply 'in' mode? In Ada95 the 'in' mode of
> the arguments does not determine how the arguments are passed
> internally to the function. The compiler can choose to pass them
> by value or by reference as suitable. Since the 'in' mode makes
> the arguments constant inside, it does not really matter how the
> arguments are passed, so why burden the user with this knowledge?

Hi,
I am certainly not expert enough to estimate what the consequences such
a change would be for the existing code base, but I really appreciate
this idea.

I suppose a potential problem would be when trying to link code written
by different compilers together. In such a scenario, "how the arguments
are passed" matters. But I don't know any bit of Ada and don't have a
clue about they solved this issue.

Cheers,

Olivier.