D's greatest mistakes

ponce spam at spam.org
Mon Dec 6 03:15:36 PST 2010

> Thus, trolling. It's so lovely to see the stupidest shitheads in this community fall for the traps. Those sheeple without any independent opinions, head full of marketing lies.

It's ok to make the case for D trolls, but consider you have a false understanding of the "sheeple" side. When I first read the D 1.0 manual I was getting tired with programming and seeing a well-designed language fostered a renewed passion for years. It was just incredible that D did so much things right, like a jewel in an ocean of shit. I became the worst kind of fanboy at day 1 just by reading a manual. And by using it I saw with a new eye what I always missed in other languages (and yes I of functional programming "beauty").

Haskell is often quoted as a well-designed, perfect language but the brutal reality is that strings should not represented as a linked list of chars. Such a thing is a very strong signal that designers didn't care about reality. String as linked lists implies a mandatory GC implies general unawareness of real speed issues in the community. And wasteful is ugly.

I've been in audio programming and faster means that it just sound better, that you can do more interesting things. Music wouldn't sound the same if all we'd have were Java. I've made some video games and faster means better reactivity, better graphics, better experience. The lie in most other language is that you don't need speed "95% of the time", but I always found myself needing it and D gives you the real power of expressivity and raw speed.

Even if I don't use at the moment (lost in Javascript land, figthing the GC), it will always have a special place in my heart and yes I have religious feelings about it, as stupid that it seems. Its success is unavoidable because it's ridiculously better than the alternatives, and language that _might_ be better are in an earlier stage.

You and your clones are not doing something useful at all. If you think you are better than Walter consider that he won't ever answer your rant and will win precious minutes to reach his goal, while you are stuck posting useless rants to make you feel better. That's the meaning of "loser talk".