ldc2: Current State?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Dec 6 10:50:03 PST 2010

On 06/12/10 18:27, dsimcha wrote:
> Apparently LDC2 is being actively worked on
> (http://bitbucket.org/prokhin_alexey/ldc2/) and is up to date with the latest
> D2 reference compiler.  I have not been able to get it to actually work,
> though I haven't tried very hard and don't remember the details of why it
> didn't work.  Is LDC2 in a mature enough state that people should actually try
> to use it?  (I know the main LDC page says it isn't, but that seems rather
> outdated, since it hasn't been updated in ages.)  Has anyone else used it at
> all successfully yet?

Without having used it, I can guarantee it is not - I was the last
person to work on it while it was in the main ldc branch, and have been
following its development in the new repository - there simply hasn't
been enough (commit wise) for it to be workable yet. This said, it is
possible that it's on par with D1, I haven't looked in enough detail to
see if that is the case though.

If you're looking for a non-dmd D2 compiler, GDC is currently the
closest, I'm not sure what its current status is (I'm sure Iain will
know) - I'm led to believe it can already compile a nice chunk of (its
own branch of) phobos though.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/