const(Object)ref is here!

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Dec 6 11:00:17 PST 2010

On Monday, December 06, 2010 05:41:42 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 04:44:07 -0500, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 00:31:41 -0800
> >
> > Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> >> toString() (or writeFrom() or whatever
> >> it's going to become)
> >
> > guess it was writeTo() ;-) but "writeFrom" is nice as well, we should
> > find some useful use for it
>
> It was proposed as writeTo, but I'm not opposed to a different name.

I have no problem with writeTo(). I just couldn't remember what it was and
didn't want to take the time to look it up, and the name isn't as obvious as
toString(), since it's not a standard name which exists in other languages, and
it isn't actually returning anything. Whether it's to or from would depend on
how you look at it - to the given delegate or from the object. But writeTo() is
fine. Once it's used, it'll be remembered.

> BTW, the proposal does properly mark writeTo as const.

Good. It figures that you'd remember given your general take on const.

- Jonathan M Davis