future of std.process?

Tue Dec 7 00:47:53 PST 2010

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:10:23 +0100, Lutger Blijdestijn wrote:

> Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 15:51:18 +0100, Lutger Blijdestijn wrote:
>>
>>> Some time ago a new std.process branch was made, which included
>>> support for pipes. Is there still a plan to integrate this in phobos?
>>> Does it depend on a decision regarding the io design?
>>
>> That is still the plan, yes.  The new std.process is pretty much done,
>> and has been for a while, but its incorporation in Phobos is being
>> blocked by bug 3979.  (The bug was fixed a while ago, but the changes
>> were almost immediately reverted by another bug fix...)
>>
>> -Lars
>
> Thanks. I've noticed your personal copy at github, is it useable in the
> meantime? It doesn't suffer from the same issue?

Yes, it works (and I just uploaded some minor changes that I had in my
local repo).  Bug 3979 only sets in once you try to name the module
"std.process" and compile it together with the rest of Phobos.  Note that
the code in my github repo is for POSIX only.  Steven Schveighoffer has
done the Windows work, and I don't have his code.

Also be aware that there hasn't been any formal review of the code yet,
so some design details may change.  (The new UnbufferedFile type, for
instance, didn't sit well with everyone.)  So don't expect to be able to
just s/ltk.process/std.process/ when it eventually gets into Phobos. ;)

-Lars