DMD2 .deb fails to install on Ubuntu 10.10 – just remove »shell«?

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Wed Dec 8 22:01:45 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 17:29 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
> > Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> >> This seems pretty urgent. Walter?
> >
> > I asked Jordi, who prepares the .deb files.
>
> Should the binaries be installed on /usr/local/bin instead?

No.  The whole point of debs is that you have a managed /usr/bin where
all the binaries go.  Clearly this means you have to have executable
names that are not the same as any other package in either Debian or
Ubuntu.  Clearly, in general, this is impossible.  However, people just
get on and do the impossible anyway.

If /usr/lib is used, the same holds.

Other stuff should be going in /usr/share/dmd and /usr/share/doc/dmd
which do not suffer the same naming issues, unless someone else is
distributing a dmd package.

I can't use the debs at the moment as they are for i386, and I only deal
in amd64.  As soon as amd64 debs are produced I will start using them
instead of having my lash-up install so as to use 32-bit materials on a
64-bit system.

The project should consider building Ubuntu debs using Bazaar and
Launchpad via a DMD PPA.  It would be good if gcd also used this route.

Anthony Williams builds debs for Just::Thread that are targeted at
Ubuntu but also happen to work on Debian.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk