Please vote on std.datetime

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Dec 10 12:49:24 PST 2010

On 12/10/10 11:55 AM, Kagamin wrote:
> Bernard Helyer Wrote:
>
>> std.gregorian's API doesn't
>> make my normal tasks easy
>
> What tasks do you mean?

Probably not even worth discussing. std.gregorian was a stub aimed at
raising awareness of the necessity of a champion for a date and time
framework. Apparently one indeed rose to the challenge :o).

std.gregorian will be eliminated by std.datetime. I am confident there
was no significant usage of it.

I'll close the vote today around 16:00 PST so Walter can prepare a
release soon (it is about time with this major addition and 70+ bug
fixes). If no seismic counter-argument comes about (but please do voice
it if you know of one!) I see it likely that std.datetime will be
accepted, modulo a few concerns that can be addressed via the normal
maintenance and enhancement process.

Contingent to the acceptance of std.datetime, I think it's fit to extend
an invitation to Jonathan to join the ranks of Phobos committers. After
all he will have written 25% of it, and in a single file no less :o).
(klickeverbot: I agree the large file size can become a burden in more
than one way going forward, but we can defer the many possible solutions
to the time when such problems manifest themselves.)

In my opinion Jonathan has earned the Phobos invite by displaying
reliability, persistence, maturity (danger of drunken commits at 3AM on
Saturday is seemingly low), and of course great skill and understanding
of D and its environment. If you have any concerns about this, please
either post here or write me email in confidence.

Thanks,

Andrei