Why Ruby?

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Fri Dec 10 17:26:01 PST 2010

http://vimeo.com/17420638

A very interesting talk.

I used to like D. To write code in a high level while at the same
time being very close to the machine, with class invariants, unit
tests and many other features seemed very appealing. But I always
felt there was something wrong.

About a year ago I met Ruby. Now I find languages like Java, C#,
Python and D kind of ugly and uncomfortable. Why? Exactly because of
what it is said in that video.

This is not to start a flame war or trolling, it's just to show you
why I changed my mind so much about D, and why I think (IMHO) you
should care about naming conventions (like bearophile says), more
powerful unittests (and not having unittests integrated into the
language but rather being able to build your own test frameworks
with ease) and stop caring about being C-syntax friendly. The world
doesn't need that many semicolons and parenthesis. :-)