Why Ruby?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 10 22:12:22 PST 2010

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:iduqor$1kj0$1 at digitalmars.com...

> One is, the talk starts with this extreme syntax exegesis where the
> position of literally every space and every letter matters a lot, and how
> exactly one choice for each is perfect and no other. Then a large part of
> the talk is dedicated to more or less successful metaphors and comparisons
> centered on freedom. This to me amounts to a guy who would want the
> freedom to smoke pot, but would beat his wife if she didn't align the
> towels on the bathroom rack.

I've been using Ruby (with Rake) for roughly a year to manage the build
process of a fairly complex (in terms of number of different
tools/languages/technologies/etc involved) server/client web app. While
there are nice things about it, I think your description of it is exactly
on-the-mark.

I can definitely see in Ruby how the designer was trying for a "natural
language/thought-process" feel, but it just ends up feeling
sloppily-designed. I never feel completely confident that what I write is
actually going to get parsed as I intended. It's like playing with voodoo,
especially when you toss in the syntax-tricks that idiomatic-Rake uses. It
certainly gets the job done for what I'm using it for, but if there was a
DRake, I'd be using it instead.