Unused memory filling

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Mon Dec 13 05:13:22 PST 2010

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:27:02 +0200, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> In two places I have read about 'shredding your trash', that is filling
> the memory that's supposed to be free and not used any more with a
> constant known value different from zero, to allow bugs in pointer usage
> to surface faster. So is it a good idea for the D GC to perform such
> overwriting of the memory it frees, when the program is compiled in
> debug mode?
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

See the MEMSTOMP debug option in the current GC implementation.

There are also a few other useful options, such as SENTINEL.

Shameless plug: Diamond ( https://github.com/CyberShadow/Diamond ) also
has a MEMSTOMP option, which can be useful if you have a single-threaded
D1 program and don't want to rebuild Phobos.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net