Why Ruby?

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Mon Dec 13 07:11:15 PST 2010

On 12/13/2010 09:08 AM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> Yes I am :-)

Since you were the Descent author, I wonder how you feel about Ruby's
lack of static typing. In the video, the speaker bashes type safety as
"having your balls fondled at the airport", that is, security theater
that doesn't accomplish much.

But that misses many of the good features that come with it, especially
in an IDE like Eclipse: code completion, find declaration, find
references, rename refactoring, and compiler checked documentation.

Ruby is also one of the slowest languages around, and I'm sure some of
that is due to the "freedom" it gives you, "freedom" being what the
speaker calls no static typing and monkey patching.